“Educate and inform the whole mass of the people. They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.” Thomas Jefferson
We the people need to talk about: How do we know right from wrong? — True from false? — Smart from stupid?
How do we the people, through our democratically elected government, make the wisest possible decisions for now and future generations?
What kind of country and world do we want to create for our children and grandchildren? We are at a trajectory moment in history – actually, a tipping point in civilization – when we must accept our responsibility as citizens and learn the truth about our history, face today’s reality head on, make choices about the future and take action . Our increasingly fragile democracy — and our world — is at stake.
Conservatives and progressives have very different ideas of right and wrong. These worldviews are drastically at odds and affect every facet of democracy. Citizens must understand how the political system and parties have changed, learn the critical implications of these culture wars, choose sides and fight for our grandchildren’s future.
Imagine America 2014 — an overview
- Planet earth and the human family
- Culture, economic justice, education, history, communications
- Democracy, citizen participation, politics, government
- Worldview: faith and/or reason — how do we know if something is true or false? right or wrong? smart or stupid
- Moral politics — deep differences in moral values define politics — religion wars
- America’s story — progressive movement, transformation — what do we believe about America’s history
* * * * * * * *
- Recent e-letters — to receive directly go to bottom left of home page and sign up
- Sept 4 to Nov 4 Inform Persuade Vote 9/4/14
- Democracy: Faith and/or Reason 8/19/14
- Democracy and Religion — an essential dialogue 8/8/14
- Looming crises, fleeting opportunity 7/30/14
- We hold these truths to be self-evident 7/4/14
- It is the worst of times, it is the best of times 6/12/14
- Memorial Day 2014 5/26/14
- Remembering Tim Carpenter 5/4/14
- The truth about climate change 4/10/14
- Where do we go from here? 4/4/14
- The “right” is WRONG about America 3/26/14
- The “right” is WRONG! 3/8/14
- America’s Incongruous Moral Values
* * * * * * * *
- Facebook posting selections re: progressive movement — June 21, 2014
- Iraq Update — June 20, 2014
- Articles and excerpts — May 16 to June 23, 2014
- Articles and excerpts — June 26 to July 3, 2014
- Articles and excerpts — July 4 to July 12, 2014
- Articles and excerpts — July 15 to July 29, 2014
- Articles and excerpts — July 30 to August 7, 2014
- Articles and excerpts — August 8 to August 21, 2014
Sources of material about American democracy posted at www.ProgressiveValues.org include Alternet.org, AmericanProgress.org, Billmoyers.com, Commondreams.org, Democracynow.org, Enlightennext.org, GeorgeLakoff.com, Minpost.com, motherjones.com, Onbeing.org, Pfaw.org, Philosophynow.org, Politico.com, Religiondispatches.org, Robertreich.com, Salon.com, Sojo.net, Thedailybeast.com, TheNation.com, Thinkprogress.org, Tikkun.org, Tomdispatch.com, Truth-out.org, Uuworld.org, Yesmagazine.org and more — You can exercise your responsibility as a citizen by contributing to these independent journalists. This website would not be possible without them.You can contribute to this website through PayPal or contact email@example.com.
Fair Use Notice: These pages contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This website distributes this material without profit for educational purposes. We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in 17 U.S.C. § 107. The many wise and articulate writers who share their knowledge with the public via the internet are profoundly appreciated. If any writer wishes to have their content amended or removed, please contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
work in progress — latest update 8/21/14 Paideia LLC © 2001–2014